Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2016

Metaphors for Life: The Boston Marathon

Our daughter, fourth of five children, is running the Boston Marathon today for the second time. She had to overcome a number of injuries and challenges to be there today. As I was praying for her this morning it occurred to me that the marathon is a metaphor for life in the Church these days. Many of us keep running the race according to the rules (orthodoxy), while the judges and race administrators play fast and loose and let interlopers join in despite lacking the proper certification and failing to meet the qualifications.

At the same time, those false judges berate the registered runners for their rigidity and lack of mercy toward the cheaters who are unprepared and likely to suffer serious injuries.

Well...life is, indeed, a marathon not a sprint. And no matter what the false judges do we persevere in the race following the rules of the Supreme Judge who will make the final decision and will separate the legitimate runners from those who winked and strutted and made deals with the false judges so they could pretend to be serious runners. We would happily welcome them to the training ranks if they wished, but they are too busy looking for loopholes and shortcuts to listen.

Do your best today, Tara. We're with you in spirit cheering on the sidelines. May your guardian angel run with you!

1 comment:

  1. Hey that is really great to hear about your daughters running in the marathon.
    I started up running again ~3 years ago when my last son finished high school. Best thing I've done in a long time. I've gotten a great deal of mental and physical benefit from the activity. Actually, I enjoy the entire process from donning my running clothes to the final cool down stretching. I appreciate the discipline, simplicity and orderliness. Maybe why I love the liturgy too. I tore my lateral meniscus a few months ago in my left knee and had surgery last month. So, slowly getting back. This was unlooked for cross. But, another opportunity to trust, patience and perseverance.

    ReplyDelete